Page 83



Layover at the Greenville loop illustrates front platform rework accomplished when selected 2600s and 2700s were single-ended in the 1920's. Doors were sealed and steps removed.

When these trolleys entered service during the first world war, they were manned by two men, a motorman who operated the car and a conductor who rode on the rear platform and whose main job was collecting the fares as passengers boarded. the car through the rear doors.

As ridership dropped after the war, most trolley companies eliminated the conductor job and the motorman stationed on the front platform not only operated the cars but also now collected fares.

The car mens' unions howled, but the change went through in most cities and the trolleys were modified so that a single platform man could handle the flow of traffic in and out of the front platform position.

A hasty exit draws disapproving glance from the seated motorman aboard 2662.

Enamelled metal sign on opened door cautioned passengers, "Watch Your Step."


2663 in a shop pull-out at the Union City Car House, formerly known as Union Hill, 1941. Note the window-guard screen dropped for scrubbing. An unusual feature here are the bumper reflectors, a "Union City special". The car was scrapped on August 24, 1949, following the termination of Hudson County trolley service on August 9. (SE, 4-307,56XL)

Previous Page | Next Page

Trolley Treasures Home Page | Trolley Treasures Vol. 1 Cover Page

Content: © 1997 Al Mankoff
Layout & Design: © 1997
Brett Putnam